The Better Setup for Gmail on iPhone
Many people assume they should use the Google Mail option when adding their Gmail account to their phone but it doesn’t support push mail, meaning that new mail isn’t automatically pushed to your iPhone. What you should use is Microsoft Exchange.
- Select Microsoft Exchange under the “Add Account”
- Use your full email address in the Email field
- Leave domain blank
- Use your full email address as your username
- Use your Google password as the Password
- (If you get a “Unable to Verify Certificate” box at this point just choose cancel.
- A new Server field will appear, enter m.google.com
- Tell it to sync your email, calendars, and contacts
Next we’ll look at how to enable multiple Google Calendars
Sync Multiple Google Calendars to your iPhone
I balance my life among 4 personal calendars so just having my primary google calendar on my iPhone doesn’t help me much. Here’s how to enable more.
- Using your iPhone visit http://m.google.com
- Sign in with your Google Account
- Click “Sync” and you should see your iPhone listed here
- Checkmark the additional calendars you’d like to sync
- Now open your iPhone Calendar app, select calendars in top left and you should now see the additional calendars added to your phone. Just select the ones you want to be visible.
This gives you full advantage of my Google account on my iPhone. Contacts are synced so they aren’t ever lost, all of your calendars are synced and visible, and mail arrives ASAP.
I’m an Goooglephile who can’t live without an iPhone and I’ve been using this configuration for years. It’s much more stable and responsive and sings through 1000 contacts and 5 calendars. All that is to say… you can take my word on this.
Additional Links for help